It sounds interesting or boring when you read, ‘SOCIAL MEDIA FAST’, that all depends on you, and I will share my experience of not using the social media platform for 45 days. It was a fun time indeed, as I did a lot of things at once. I am proud of myself that I made my days productive.
There are only two possible ways why you go on social media fast.
- YOU ARE IN A NO NETWORK ZONE
- BY CHOICE
By choice, it is somehow difficult as it tests your patience to what level you cannot use any social media platform because most of the people ahead of you, like your family, friends, or colleagues, might be using it.
So, how this thought came to my mind?
It was not the first time that I uninstall all my social media apps. But, yes for a long time, I did not do it. I checked my phone setting, and there was a screen time for each app. I saw the screen time for WhatsApp, which was around 3 hours a day on average, and Instagram was 2 hours a day. I calculated other apps as well and found I am using my phone more than 6 hours a day that is equivalent to a peaceful sleep.
It is not just my story as I feel many people are leading me in this race.
I realized that I have to take a break from all these and focus more on reality. I uninstalled WhatsApp on 16th Sept 2020, and in a few days, I uninstalled Instagram as well.
Initially, it was not difficult for me to live without these apps. But as days were passing, I was missing WhatsApp and Instagram icon on my phone. On my way to media fast, there were few challenges like my exams were there, and I had to connect with my classmates and the college group to be in touch with the exam updates. At that time, my mother helped me as she joined my college group, and she was updating me on whatever was happening through her WhatsApp.
I managed to appear for my exams and cleared all my papers. 😊
I am also doing Job. And, I connected with my boss and seniors through skype (There was nobody available on Skype apart from office staff).
How I made my days Productive?
I started writing a journal book in which I listed all the tasks that I wanted to complete in a day. (I will share that journal writing in another article). By the end of the day, the ticks gave me satisfaction (Ye Bhi Kia, ye hogya, tick, tick, and tick)
In my free time, I was following my hobbies and interests, along with learning new things. Moreover, it was fun to prepare the checklist a day before.
I bought baby saplings and took good care of them. My money plant has grown so long with beautiful leaves. Here are some pictures from my balcony and window gardening
Many times, I was waking up early so, here is a picture from my window
I did calligraphy as well; I will show you some more later.
As per my views, what advantages I found in not using social media platforms are –
- If you have a task to complete, SOCIAL MEDIA FAST will speed you up.
- PRODUCTIVITY will increase
- You can spend more TIME with your FAMILY.
- You get more time to IMPROVE YOURSELF.
- You don’t get affected by what others are doing – I feel what people show you in their stories is not the reality. There are some who just “show-off” or “want our attention”.
- You start using TEXT messages and EMAIL to connect.
- I made challenges list and started doing some of them.
- Peaceful sleep as you do not surf on social media unnecessarily.
- Give rest to your beautiful eyes.
- You get to know WHO CARE for you – In this era, it is usual that we drop a message and think our duty to be in touch is done. Even I got calls from some of my friends who asked me where I am, but there were few who I did not care about me. I uninstalled social media apps, but my number was active 😛
Disadvantages that I felt
- Difficult to connect with some necessary people from the workplace or college
There will be other disadvantages as well, but genuinely I felt this one.
Social media is a good place to connect with people you know, you never know, or you wanted to know. And, as it is said, everything has its advantages and disadvantages. It up to you how you pick up things for yourself.
Thank you for giving your valuable time to read the article. If you had done anything like this, you can share your experience in the comment section. Also, you can share your views regarding this article.
Happy Blogging 😊